Paramedics are warning residents to be on the lookout for snakes and know what to do if bitten.
Assistant Commissioner Robbie Medlin said paramedics see an increase in snake bites at this time of year.
Mr Medlin warned people to be cautious when working outdoors or traversing in a snake’s habitat, such as when out bushwalking.
“If you’re cleaning up your property, be careful shifting timber, iron sheeting or similar materials as snakes can be lingering nearby,” he said.
“Also avoid walking through long grass, but if you have to, wear enclosed shoes and long pants and carry a compression bandage with you.
“Make your property less attractive to snakes by disposing of food properly, including pet food, and keeping animal enclosures such as aviaries clean to prevent rodents such as mice and rats.”
Mr Medlin urged everyone to have a first aid kit handy to treat a bite and to have a clear understanding of what to do in an emergency.
“A snake bite can be fatal so always call Triple Zero (000) immediately, and keep the patient as calm as
possible to reduce the spread of venom around the body,” he said.
“Don’t wash the wound, as the hospital may need to test the area to identify the snake.
“Bandage over the snake bite firmly, then work up the limb starting at the extremities (fingers and
toes) and splint the limb to keep it straight.”