A FIRE at the former Kalkadoon Aboriginal Sobriety House in Mount Isa on Wednesday evening caused a large power failure across the city.
An Ergon Energy representative yesterday said about 1100 customers in the Soldiers Hill area were affected after the fire burnt down a power pole carrying a transformer about 6pm.
Queensland Fire and Rescue Service personnel responded to the blaze, but the power pole was unable to be extinguished before electricity was lost.
A generator was used to restore power to all but two customers by 7.43pm, and the generator will stay in place until the pole is replaced by early next week.
Ergon Energy is investigating the cause of the fire.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.