As they sweat on David Fifita's future, Brisbane have confirmed they have re-signed fellow young gun Kotoni Staggs for another NRL season.
The Broncos received a shot in the arm as they waited on the in-demand Fifita's next move, snapping up Tongan international Staggs until the end of the 2021 season.
All eyes had been on Fifita on Friday after it emerged four rival clubs were in the race for the 19-year-old who was off contract in 2020.
Queensland Origin star Fifita reportedly received lucrative offers from 12 clubs but it is believed to have been narrowed down to Gold Coast, Canterbury, the Sydney Roosters and the Warriors.
While confident of retaining the blockbuster forward, Brisbane have still bolstered their squad by retaining Staggs. He enjoyed a strong second full NRL season in 2019, scoring 11 tries in 24 games.
Overall, the highly rated Staggs has played 33 NRL games for the Broncos since his 2018 debut.
"Kotoni's contract extension is great news for the club," Broncos coach Anthony Seibold said in a statement.
"The one thing you know that you are going to get with him is effort in everything that he does.
"I've been really impressed with the way he has stepped up to take the starting spot in the centres, and part of my role is to help Kotoni achieve his enormous potential in the game.
"We really look forward to seeing him continue to grow on and off the field."
Staggs had been linked for weeks to a contract extension but sounded relieved to finally get the deal done.
"To be able to get the starting spot and for (Seibold) to be able to rely on me, I'm grateful for that," said Staggs.
"I come to training and I compete every day and I just love the boys and I couldn't do it without them."
Brisbane are expected to focus on Fifita's signature.
Fifita emerged as the hottest property on the open market from November 1 with the Bulldogs and Roosters reportedly leading the charge after a stellar 2019.
However, Fifita is still awaiting a potential NRL sanction after spending three days in a Bali jail last month for allegedly assaulting a security guard.
The teenager reached a so-called 'peace agreement' with the complainant to secure his release.
Australian Associated Press