The Julia Creek Dirt n Dust Festival had a cracking start to the event, showcasing young outback talent with the junior triathlon.
On Friday April 12, 90 mini-triathletes, 63 individuals and nine teams, aged from four to 15 years competed in the first event of the festival.
Participants travelled from as far as Brisbane and Townsville to compete, as well as closer to home from towns including Mount Isa, Richmond and Cloncurry.
Dirt n Dust committee president Stephen Malone said the Junior Triathlon, touted as being every bit as tough as it's big brother the South32 Senior Triathlon.
"It's always a great sight to see our little athletes competing. It's a fantastic event for the kids to be a part of, especially for our rural kids, many of whom have had such a rough start to the year with the floods," Mr Malone said.
"Our largest percentage of competitors come from Julia Creek and its surrounding areas so this is a great chance for them to experience something different and have that social connection with other kids.
"We are thrilled to see the next generation turning out in droves for the 25th year. Who knows, maybe we'll see these competitors bring their own children to the 50th."
The annual Julia Creek Dirt n Dust Festival sees the town swell from a population of 350 to almost 4000 for the weekend.
"It has been a very successful first day," Mr Malone said.
"We are in for a great weekend full of sport, fun and celebration. It's great to see the community and our visitors come together to celebrate 25 years of the Dirt n Dust Festival."
- 4-6 years boys: Jack Woodfield, Julia Creek 00:04:30
- 4-6 years girls: Brodie Cattle, Townsville 00:04:35
- 7-9 years boys: Will Finucane, Townsville 00:11:14
- 7-9 years girls: Sofia Blanco-Boyle, Townsville 00:11:18
- 7-9 years team: Team Gaga, Richmond 00:12:08
- 10-12 years boys: Kyle Gibbs, Townsville 00:17:10
- 10-12 years girls: Sam Pratt, Julia Creek 00:17:04
- 10-12 years team: Deadly Dunnarts, Julia Creek 00:16:29
- 13-15 years boys: Dean Scholes, Julia Creek 00:28:43
- 13-15 years girls: Abbie Pratt, Julia Creek 00:28:24
- 13-15 years team: BCM Girls, Julia Creek 00:30:35
While you are here, subscribe to our weekly email newsletter delivered to your inbox at 6am every Friday.