Cricket Tasmania boss Dominic Baker is adamant the Tim Paine saga won't count against his state's fight to host the fifth Ashes Test if it is pulled from Perth.
Cricket Australia is expected to confirm in coming days that Optus Stadium won't be able to hold the match, owing to the hard COVID restrictions in place in Western Australia.
Hobart have snuck into favouritism to host the match once that decision is confirmed, with Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne also ready to make a pitch.
Initially slated to host Afghanistan this summer before that match was postponed, Paine then fronted a campaign for Hobart to host its first Ashes Test.
However that was well before he stood down from the captaincy amid the sexting scandal, prompting Cricket Tasmania to smash CA over their handling of the affair.
But regardless of that, Baker said the criticism would not become a stumbling block in negotiations to hold the match.
"That won't come into it. I'd be very disappointed if it did. In fact, I know it won't," Baker told ABC radio.
"If you were measured on your public comments about Cricket Australia, we'd still be a long way in front of other states.
"We've worked really hard to fill the bucket full of credits on that side of it.
"We've been a very, very good cricket citizen. We don't come out and complain and carry on like some others do when we miss out on stuff."
CA's board were due to meet with prospective hosts on Friday, with the SCG and MCG offering larger venues but having already held Tests earlier in the series.
While CA could decide not to play the match in the coming days, a decision on the replacement venue is unlikely until next week.
"It's untried to play almost two Test matches back-to-back in one jurisdiction," Baker said.
"There's still a bit of fear factor around getting out and being in large crowds. We don't have that here.
"We've also got an audience in Tasmania that's been starved of the international game. We haven't had a Test match here since 2016. "
Tasmania Premier Peter Gutwein meanwhile believes Hobart's Bellerive Oval is in a "good spot" to host the fifth Test.
Gutwein had spoken to CA chief executive Nick Hockley late this week to again express Hobart's willingness to host the Test, slated for January 14-18.
"Obviously I hope Cricket Australia make a decision today that Perth won't be going ahead," Gutewin said.
"That then enables us to get around the table to talk about what support might be needed and what logistically we might need to do.
"It's important that Cricket Australia understand this is a national game, this is their opportunity to make history - an Ashes Test in Tasmania."
Australian Associated Press